It’s World Book Day this Thursday (5th March), and to celebrate, many schools and pre-schools are asking the children to dress up as a character from their favourite book.
I’ve known for a couple of weeks that SmallSmall needs to dress up on Friday, but inevitably, I have done nothing about it.
And now I have 4 days, and very little time to come up with something…!
So, the obvious answer is to
waste spend time scouring the internet, and writing a blog post..!
- Easy no sew super hero cape from an old t-shirt from NetMums
- Some brilliant ideas here from KidCrave for everything from capes and masks to winged shoes..!
- Good old Martha Stewart has this tutorial for a super hero t-shirt and cape, that looks great teamed up with some plain leggings and a mask!
Frozen characters (I know it’s not a book, but I am sure it’s a lot of girls favourite dress up..!)
- Easy ideas here on BuzzFeed for making the most of what you already have and creating a whole host of the characters from Disney’s hit movie!
- And there’s another TWENTY ideas here from Mom Endeavours!
- It’s not going to be especially quick, or easy, but if you have quicker/better sewing skills than me, and your little Princess is adamant she wants to be Elsa, here’s a free pattern and tutorial from The DIY Mommy
- DIY mouse headband from The Educators’ Spin On It
- Another one from the same clever lot at The Educators’ Spin On It is this Gruffalo apron!
Knights (There is a book series called Mike the Knight if you need a World Book Day link..!)
- There are six easy DIY costumes from Camp Clem (I hesitate to say they are for boys, as I am sure there are girls out there who also want to be secret agents and knights!) is an easy knight’s one
Witch Costumes (the Worst Witch, Winnie the Witch, etc etc)
- Here’s a no sew witch costume made from bin bags from Martha Stewart! (Just make sure you recycle the bin bags afterwards..!)
The Very Hungry Caterpillar
- No sew mask from Kids Activities Blog. You could probably do something similar to this with cereal boxes and felt. And then team it with some green clothes!
LOADS MORE IDEAS!
- 12 No Sew costumes for World Book Day from The School Run, including Harry Potter and Where’s Wally!
- World Book Day costume ideas from Activity Village, including Horrid Henry, and The Little Princess!
- 30 ideas for last minute World Book Day costumes from Made for Mums, including Matilda, and Mr Bump!
- Book Aid International has a whole range of downloadable instructions, including The Cat in the Hat, and Elmer!
OK, so now I just need to stop Pinning, and start making…!