In my quest for a Make Do and Mend Year, I feel the need to set out some rules, so we all know where we stand! You know what they say about boundaries..
Every non-perishable item that I buy for the next year must be second-hand, pre-owned, vintage, retro, upcycled, re-conditioned… you get the idea. but NOT new!!
So that means, no newspapers, no new clothes, no new toys for the kids. It doesn’t mean we can’t have them, we just can’t buy them new. So we’ll be having to think a bit about how we get the things that we want. E-bay would be the obvious answer to most dilemmas, but I’m aiming for a bit more than that, so car boots, flea markets, vintage fairs, charity shops, freecycle will all be utilised!
- toiletries and cleaning products-although in the spirit of Make Do and Mend, I will be trialling some homemade cleaning and beauty products!
- shoes for the little people -call me precious but I still religiously shop at Clark’s so I can make sure their little feet are getting squished by ill-fitting shoes-having said that, SmallSmall wears BigSmall’s cast offs and we usually go to the huge Clarks factory shop in Street to try and get new shoes slightly cheaper! Big people must buy second hand shoes if they want ‘new’ ones
- trainers for running-for me. I know I just said that big people have to but second hand shoes, but I’m really trying to get running again, and I think I will need some new trainers at some point, and I really don’t want to risk my joints etc wearing second hand trainers that don’t fit
- consumables for ‘upcycling’, mending and making do-eg. glue, staples, tape etc. I will endeavour to seek out other people’s left overs of paint for projects, but at times, I may need to buy new if I need something specific for a project
- consumables for my ‘upcycled loveliness’ over at Shouty Cat Makes (my little crafty business). I still need to try and keep this going, and nearly everything I make upcycles something, but some components do need to be bought new, for example, the cufflink bits of my scrabble cufflinks
- underwear-may be I’m just a bit old fashioned, but the thought of someone else’s pre-used smalls makes me shudder a little
- bits for the car-see my post re spare tyres! I am assured by the lovely hubby that lots of car parts are re-conditioned, so obviously we would use these, but if we can only get new, or it’s not really safe to go secondhand (like with the tyres) then we will have to suck it up and buy new