Phew, what a scorcher!
It’s been fabulous. The summer we’ve all been hankering after for the last several years.
So I thought I had better blog this quickly as the weather is due to break tonight, and who knows when we will see the sun again…
Make Do and Mend ice cream, obviously.
Homemade ice cream.
Without the aid of an ice cream maker.
No churn ice cream.
I first saw this recipe on A Year without Supermarkets a little while ago, and tried it, and loved it. The Smalls weren’t so keen, for some unknown, irrational, Small person logic reason, but all the more reason to make more I say!
And then I saw it again on a recipe card, and thought it would be just the thing for the Scorchio weather 🙂
This is what you need:
- 600ml double cream
- 397g (why this is not 400g I have no idea) tin condensed milk
- Additions of your choosing-we have tried: frozen summer fruits, mini smarties, and rhubarb compote. The recipe card I saw was for peaches and crystallised ginger. Go crazy.
This is what you do:
- Whip together the cream and condensed milk until it thickens and leaves ribbons when you lift the whisk out
- Stir in your addition-we went for rhubarb compote (we ‘poached’ some rhubarb from our neighbours with the gooseberries) with orange zest and juice, and attempted to ‘ripple’ it through, but failed
- Decant into a suitable container and freeze
- Remove from the freezer 10 minutes or so before you want to eat it
- Enjoy! Eat and remind your Smalls that they told you they didn’t like it, so no, they can’t have any…
Certainly one to try while the weather is so nice. I’ve a feeling my grandsons will love this 🙂
It’s really yummy! We have done it with smarties before, and it worked very well..!
Goodness I never knew ice cream was so easy to make….def going to try this recipe. I fancy smashing up a couple of crunchies to put in!
Oooh, that sounds delicious-great idea!
This sounds too easy. 🙂 Am I missing something?
Nope! Easy squeezy 🙂
My friend came round for dinner with an espresso ice cream she’d made with cream and condensed milk- it was delicious 🙂
That sounds fab too-coffee ice cream is my favourite=will have to try it!
I just tried it but the mixture curdled – perhaps I missed the stringy stage 😦 Even so, I have added some of our blackcurrants briefly cooked with a little sugar and it is in the freezer. The freezer is struggling in this weather, but I NEED ice cream … 😀
Oh no! Not sure why that happened 😦
Hopefully it will still taste ok.
I am with you on the necessity of ice cream-it really is a food group…!
Well, the texture is grainy but I think it does taste pretty amazing! Definitely going to try again 🙂
That looks so easy – I notice you don’t add sugar – is it very sweet?
Yes it is already plenty sweet enough!
Pingback: Christmas 2013-the post-match analysis | My Make Do and Mend Year
Pingback: Homemade Butter! | My Make Do and Mend Year
Pingback: Homemade Butter! |