For those of you wanting to follow our progress as we Live Below The Line, I thought I would update you each day with a rough ‘what we ate’ and the cost. Apologies if this is boring some of you to tears..!
- porridge made with 50:50 milk and water, with raisins and sliced banana-44p
- milk for the smalls-20p
- bananas x 2-8p
- hobnobs x 4-24p
- sunshine buns x 2 -with a smee of butter and homemade jam-12p
- milk for the Smalls-20p
- handful of raisins-15p
- 1/4 tin of pineapple chunks-5p
- Egg rolls x 3-35p (2 eggs)
- Carrot sticks- 5p
- Apple slices – 24p
- Yoghurt+rhubarb compote-20p
- Cheesy potato thing-half of our slightly sprouty 5op potatoes mashed with 2 carrots, on top of cheese sauce and (cooked) frozen veg-£1.67-this made 4 grown up sized servings-hubby and I had one each, the Smalls shared one, and then there was one left for hubby for lunch tomorrow-so cost for the bit we’ve eaten today £1.25
- Yoghurt with rhubarb (again!)-18p
It is making me much more aware of how much I take the ‘basics’ like milk, butter and cheese for granted. I weighed them all out for the cheese sauce, which I would never normally do, and then still needed a bit more when making the mash. I don’t think the Smalls have noticed especially, BigSmall certainly hasn’t commented, and he is usually not backwards in coming forwards if he is not happy with something! The things I am missing most are just all the little ‘picky bits’- a square of chocolate here, a stolen contraband sweet there. And I think hubby missed his crisps in his lunch today. But other than that, I think we are doing ok.
One down, four to go.
PS. I have some popcorn kernels in the cupboard-do you think I can make a bowl of popcorn for picking on tonight for 25p..?
Our plan is to donate the remainder of our usual weekly shopping budget to Save The Children, but if anyone would like to contribute to our fund-raising coffers, then you can donate here 🙂