This is my all time favourite snack recipe for the Smalls (although it makes for a pretty yummy Big snack too).
It has the bonus of being packaging free-very important when you are Watching your Waste…
AND I know exactly what is in it-no danger of any stray horses sneaking in here…
It is from the lovely Nigella (Lawson), and her fantastic Feast book.
- 100g cheddar cheese, coarsely grated-I use mature cheddar, but we do like strong cheese in our house!
- 50g plain flour
- 25g soft butter
- 1/4 tsp baking powder
- cookie cutter-preferably in the shape of a foot, to make ‘cheesy feet’, get it?!
- baking sheet
This is what you do:
- Put all the ingredients in a magi-mix type processor and whiz
- Keep whizzing. Don’t lose the faith, it WILL come together
- When it all starts to whiz around in a big ball, stop, take it out, and roll it into a ball. Then flatten it into more of a disc shape, and wrap it in cling film, or put into a sandwich bag (which you can then re-use!) and place in the fridge for at least an hour (I have been known to leave it overnight or even longer if I run out of time to roll them out-if you do this, then it is worth getting them out half an hour before you want to roll, otherwise it will be hard work!)
- When you are ‘ready to roll’, pre-heat your oven to 170C and line 2 baking trays-I use reusable silicon type liners, or you could of course use greaseproof
- Roll the dough out on a floured surface until it’s about 0.5 thick
- Use your cookie cutter to cut out your biscuits-I get about 10 from this amount of mix, but obviously it depends on the size of your cutter
- Bake for 8-10mins. I do mine for about 8mins-keep an eye on them, they can go from ‘golden’ to ‘brown’ in an instant!
I make a double batch of these at alarmingly regular intervals, and then freeze them. I can then just grab a couple (or 3 or 4..) out of the freezer in the morning, and have readymade, wholesome (ok, so I’m sure these aren’t the healthiest of snacks with all that cheese in, but it’s got to be better than a packet of crisps, right?), delicious snacks at hand..! And no nasty, non-recyclable packets to throw away